THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 14, 2008

an Arabic eulogy

Salaam to all. Yaya here. I was searching for a sample for eulogy and stumble upon this Arabic poem which is written in the form of a eulogy. Just want to share with all.

In the following poem, Al-Khansa, the great pre-Islamic Arab poetess, laments the murder of her brother Sakhr. The poem is in the form of a eulogy.

I was sleepless, and I passed the night keeping vigil, as if

my eyes had been anointed with pus,

Watching the stars--and I had not been charged to watch them-

and anon wrapping myself in the ends of ragged robes.

For I had heard--and it was not news to rejoice me--one making

report, who had come repeating intelligence,

Saying, "Sakhr is dwelling there in a tomb, struck to the

ground beside the grave, between certain stones."

Depart then, and may God not keep you far (from Him), being

a man who eschewed injustice, and ever sought after bloodwit.

You used to carry a heart that brooked no wrong, compounded

in a nature that was never cowardly,

Like the spear-point whose (bright) shape lights up the night,

(a man) bitter in resolution, free and the son of free-men.

So I shall weep for you, so long as ringdove laments and the

night stars shine for the traveler,

And I shall never make my peace with a people with whom you

were at war, not till the black cooking-pot of the (good)

host becomes white]


Great poem isn't it? Till then, toodles.

0 comments: